Hi, I’m marnix.
A Dutch Interaction DesignerDownload CV
Hopefully I can answer most of the questions you have about me here. Am I the right job candidate for your business? Let’s find out! I created this description of myself and what I look for in a job, see it as a persona of myself:
- Hard worker
- Self aware
- Likes collaboration
- Needs a good amount of variety in his work.
- Isn’t always able to generate super ideas under extreme time pressure by himself.
- Always expects others to give good arguments when making decisions.
How do I work?
My work process:
- Client communication, get a clear description of the task at hand.
- Problem analysis, getting familiar with the environment the product is used in and interviewing users and stakeholders.
- Create documents to communicate requirements for the product among the team.
- Conceptual thinking / lateral thinking methods to generate concepts and ideas.
- Synthesis of ideas, bottom-up approach where a main structure or model gets enhanced by well chosen features.
- Rapid prototyping through the use of Axure (or other software) or paper prototypes.
- Acquire feedback and document this.
- Adjust the prototype, document changes made and measure improvements made.
- Repeat steps 5,6 & 7 till the prototype is adequately thought through.
- Finalize the prototype.
- Create an annotated document that the developers and visual designers can use for further development.
- Start a-b version testing with products created by the visual designers and developers, take the results and start fine tuning the product.
- Final presentation to stakeholders/client
- Celebration of success.
- Maintenance / Product improvement / New features
Education & training background
My education & previous experiences:
2012 – Bachelor of arts in Interaction Design
2010 – Master’s Program: “Design for Digital Cultures”
2009 – Company: De Monsters
2007 – Utrecht School of the Arts: Interaction Design
2005 – Avans: Communication & Multimedia Design
I have expertise in:
- Problem analysis & user/stakeholder interviews
- Client pitching & presentations
- Prototype creation
- Creating team communication documents (flowcharts/wireframes/personas/storyboards/sketches/research results/presentations)
- Conceptual thinking through various methods
- Data visualization
- Project management (familiar with work environments that follow a waterfall model or SCRUM & AGILE model)
- Creating pixel perfect visual interfaces for both desktop & mobile in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Applying cognitive psychology and perception theory
- Applying ergonomics on product design
- Narration & storywriting
- Back end development (PHP /MySQL)
Goals & Motivation
- I wish to feel valuable to others.
- I wish to keep learning.
- I wish to not have to worry about money like I am right now ever again.
- I wish to make new friends.
- I wish to be creative on a daily basis
- I wish to create things of meaning to others.
- I wish to start new traditions with colleagues, friends and family.
- I wish to be proud of what I make.
- I wish to become a known designer.
- I wish to solve at least one big social problem through design thinking as a gift back to the world.
- I wish to speak 5 languages fluently.
- Become the greatest husband and father.
- Provide happiness to others.
- See more of the world.
Pain points & frustrations
My personal pain points and frustrations:
- I would like to improve my programming skills as I would like to be proficient beyond just prototype creation.
- Injured my spine 8 years ago and need a good chair and desk to not be in pain.
- As I’m a junior, I still find it difficult to estimate how much time something really takes to complete.
- Achieving something/working
- Observing the world around me
- The feeling of sonder
- Learning strange words like sonder
- Learning something new in general
- Finding eccentricities
- Developing ideas
- Stories in any form
- Listening to music
- Being woken by the sunlight
- Fresh mountain air and a thick layer of fresh snowfall
- Technological developments, because well science is awesome!
- Mathematics and complex theories that are explained well
- Astronomy and how we are a part of the galaxy and this planet.
- Psychology to understand why we do things.
- Philosophy that challenges me to think about things.
- Plays basketball once per week
- Goes to the gym 3 x evenings per week
- Watches movies & TV series on a regular basis to relax
- Goes snowboarding every year
- Hobbyist cook that appreciates good food